Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Confessions at Cooley High

I'm not original in the least, this is true. I've come to accept my theft of image and attitude. Yes dear readers it's too true: I've stolen everything I know from this great coming of age film. Check it out if you can find it in the DVD shops. Or if you're lazy like me you can buy it here.
The guy on the left in the coat and tie, his name is Preach, my favorite film character of all time, really. I first caught this film on TV when I was 5 or 6, so we're talking 1975 or 76. The film was released in 73', right after American Graffiti which at the time everyone was calling the greatest coming of age flick, well, I have to disagree. It was dull then and today it's still dull. How could an inner city black kid relate to that?? When Cooley High was released I remember my sisters (who were way older than me, and still are , Hahhah!) going crazy for it. Cooley High was the first black coming of age film. Thanks really to Gordon Parks, Ossie Davis and The Great Melvin Van Peebles for really paving the way for black films. Sweet Sweetbacks Baaadassss song came out 2 years prior to this one, if it wasn't for MVP there may not have been a Cooley High, or Shaft (originally written for a white man), Coffey Brown, The Mack, Billy Dee Williams or Samual L. Jackson. Cooley High really made me think about life, and also made me ball like a baby at such a young age at the end of the film. Even to this day I can't watch the whole film due to tearing up when a pivotal moment comes, the sadness can rip you apart and break your heart more so than any film coming out today. (and that's only because the idea of sentiment and compassion has been driven away from most films, at lest most films coming out of America, unless is and indie though I will admit.
So as a child I got into the idea of being a writer from this film, the idea of wearing suits came from this and chasing skirts with reckless abandon. I'm an image thief sure, but it's better than aping some dullard like 50 Cent or Martin Lawrence, or Will Smith for that matter.
One of the strongest points in the film for me is the fact that it's filmed in Chicago, the ol' hometown, so whenever I'm feeling a little homesick I can throw this in the machine and roam around with these cats for a little while and feel okay about things. And right now that's all right with me. Chicago isn't the same as it used to be, I've noticed this on my last venture out there. It's become sick I think, saturated with glitz and yuppie wealth and fear. Going back to some of the old neighborhoods is like taking a stroll through Lodo (downtown Denver, horrible place) full of ugly people doing ugly things.
Cooley High also told me that eventually I was going to leave Chicago, at the time I really didn't know that but I knew that I wouldn't be there forever. So I left 20 years later, and here I am, still reflecting on a film that taught me about growing up before I was decade old.
Thanks Preach.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dex said...

you know, dr. who had the same influence in my life - own my own sense of fashion, travel around and have adventures with female companions, save the world - oh yeah. i totally relate.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Shoun said...

This is the sign of a child who suffers from sad illusions of self indulgent humor, bad television and shameless self promotion. You'll never be able to relate to me. Remember that.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home