Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Scare tactics...

In my office building today it's dull, nothing going on, quiet. That's not really something to feel good about for some people here; too much quiet means trouble is coming.
The more quiet it is, the bigger the trouble it seems.

Everyone is skulking around, hiding in corners, asking in whispered voices if there's something happening or is going to. People here fear the silence. They fear a lot more most days. But silence throws everyone into a panic.

This works for me because they all stay in their office for the rest of the day. The only conversations are through email, it's safer that way. At the end of the day people leave without saying good bye or good night. The Fear has it's grip on them and they rush to their cars, or the closest bus stop. I'm then left to my own devices, so I turn up the volume on internet radio, get a fresh cup of coffee, read the days headlines.

I've come to live for their fear.

Earlier today I came in from having a cigarette in the parking lot in back and saw two witches walking out of my office, they were looking for my boss, he wasn't around. Lucky him; they didn't look too friendly. Dressed in black, big pointy hats with red feathers and frilly things hanging off.

A couple of students came in, asked me what the witches were all about.
I told them that I didn't know, but it was about damn time they came out of hiding.

The students gave me a perplexed look, then backed away slowly out the front door, clutching their backpacks to their chests.

And it was quiet again.

Fear is my friend while at the evil day job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home