Monday, August 07, 2006

The Legend of Childhood Horror!

Well, yesterday I was sick with West Nile and laid up on the couch trying to watch Finding Neverland and Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig when I had some crazy fever dream that threw me back to my youth, at exactly 8 years old. Dont ask me why, it was a west nile based fever dream, theres no explaining it. Anyway, I'm having my flashback and the thought occurred to me: Why do I give a rats shit about superhero films? Why do I think most of them aren't that good after what I was exposed to when I was a kid? Now I'm not talking about horrid cartoons that scare the hell out of me now when I take a look at them (Speed Racer, Ultraman, Starblazers) I'm talking live action. And not the first Superman film (or even the Spiderman stuff from back then) that I saw that in the theater and that was cool of course, but there was one thing that I'd forgotten about until yesterday, while laying on the couch, sweating and watching the cats make plans to escape my WN fueled lunatic ravings, I had a short memory shock of something that I now believe had ruined me way back then, something that had stripped me of any pain for anything that came after it or what's coming out now. Superman Returns? Pfft, its not as bad as people say in comparison. X-Men: The Last Stand? Whatever, Storm is still a fine woman. Constantine? Yeah, thats really gonna give a kid nightmares, but not the nightmares I had after seeing this tasteless filth, this shamefulI cant even finish what I want to say. Just look at it. And really, Ghetto man? GHETTO MAN???
I was just too damn young to be offended by that, but now...wow, thats all I can say.
Ive come to the conclusion that this is the reason why I was a troubled child that grew into a troubled adult who still has problems in life. Its because of this and this alone.
So now Im off to cry in a corner somewhere, then Im gonna find a support group, or just start one, I'm sure that this will explain a lot to people who've suppressed the memory of this horrible affliction to children of the 70's everywhere, and why there are many comic book guys out there in the world who are strangly enough, around my age. Ladies, dont hate them because they read comics, hate the Legend of Superheroes !!!

Thouse of you born after 1979, consider yourselves very, very lucky.

This has been a public service announcement.
You're welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home